Friday, May 4, 2012

"A Dream Within A Dream"-Edgar Allan Poe





Poe used a lot of figurative language in this poem and that is what makes it such a beautiful poem. The line "Take this kiss upon the brow and in parting from you now, thus much let me avow; you are not wrong who deem that my days have been a dream" makes me think that Poe was living in a dream world. Every thing that was good in his life was too good to be true. I also like the line where he says, "I stand amid the roar of a surf-tormented shore, and I hold within my hand grains of the golden sand." Poe uses figurative language here by saying "surf-tormented shore." I think that if he would've kept it simple and said something along the lines of "I stand on the beach and play in the sand," the poem would not have been as powerful as it is. Poe knew this and that is why he said "surf-tormented shore" 


Source: Poe, Edgar Allen. poestories.com, 2005. Web. May 4, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment